On December 20, 2024, Janusz Kahl, CEO at NordicHouse and honorary consul of Denmark, Finland and Iceland in Krakow, met with students of Journalism and Social Communication of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow.
The topic of the meeting with third-year students of full-time studies was international communication. Intercultural communication is a key factor in interactions between people. In the modern world, it is one of the foundations of effective communication. The aim of the meeting was to familiarize students with basic issues in the field of intercultural communication, to show cultural barriers in communication and the influence of cultural/national factors on the course of communication.
During the 2-hour meeting, topics such as:
– types of sciences examining intercultural communication, history of intercultural communication, diplomacy
– the issue of foreignness and familiarity
– problems and barriers in communication (concepts of ethnocentrism, cultural relativism)
– cultural circles, stereotypes, historical and cultural prejudices in intercultural communication
– culture shock – definition, models, causes and methods of prevention
– phenomena: assimilation, separation, marginalization, multiculturalism,
– language and culture (types of languages: global, world, artificial, etc.)
– intercultural communication and diplomacy
We hope that after the meeting, the students will gain knowledge based on the lecturer’s experience on intercultural communication and will become more aware of the influence of cultural factors on communication.