Home Site map
Search:  search

Consulate of Sweden – Work and Live


EU and EEA citizens
Sweden is a member of the European Union (EU). The following countries also belong to the EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and the United Kingdom. The European Economic Area (EEA) agreement ensures that citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway also enjoy freedom of movement within the EU countries.
For information on work and residence permits in Sweden, please click on the link below.

Fact sheet for EU and EEA citizens
For additional information, please contact the Embassy of Sweden or the Swedish Migration Board at the address to the right.
Non EU/EEA citizens - Residence permit
If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative who is already a Swedish resident you must have a residence permit of your own. This applies, for instance, if you are married, or cohabiting, or intend to marry or cohabit with someone who is permanently residing in Sweden. It also applies to unmarried children under the age of 18.
When applying for a residence permit you must present your application to the Embassy / Consulate of Sweden yourself. Your relative(s) in Sweden cannot apply on your behalf.
Make sure you fill in all the particulars on the form. You should also ensure that you supply the correct address to your relative(s) in Sweden.
If you are married, or cohabiting, or intend to marry or cohabit with someone who is permanently resident in Sweden
Once you have presented your application, you will be asked to attend an interview at the Embassy / Consulate. You will need to bring some form of documentation proving your relationship to the person in Sweden, such as letters, photographs or a marriage certificate. You should also bring your passport and two passport-sized photographs.
If you are under 18 years of age, unmarried and your parents are residents in Sweden
You must be able to show that you lived together in your country of origin/domicile before your parent or parents moved to Sweden.
If you are a parent or some other close relative of a person who is now resident in Sweden
In exceptional cases, other relatives may qualify for residence permits by reason of family ties. You must be able to show that you lived together with your relative immediately prior to his/her move to Sweden, and that you are dependent on that person in such a way that it is difficult for you to live apart. This means that you must be financially, socially or emotionally dependent on the relative who lives in Sweden.
A relative of a refugee or of a person who has been granted asylum for some other reason can, in exceptional cases, be granted a Swedish residence permit if the two have had a very close relationship, even if they have not lived together in their former country of domicile.
How much does it cost to apply?
You may be required to pay an application fee. If your application is denied, the fee will not be refunded. For information on the fees click the link below.
Who decides my case?
The Embassy / Consulate sends your application to the Migration Board in Sweden for decision. The Embassy / Consulate will notify you of the decision of the Migration Board.
The residence permit must be entered in your passport before your arrival in Sweden. You cannot travel to Sweden and wait for a decision there.
How long will I have to wait for a decision?
It can take a long time for a decision to be reached.
Once you have presented your application, the Embassy / Consulate will ask you to attend a personal interview.
When the interview has taken place, the Embassy / Consulate forwards your application to the Migration Board in Sweden for a decision. This may take up to four weeks. The Migration Board then makes additional enquiries, either by inviting the relative in Sweden to a personal interview, or by sending him/her a questionnaire by post. The questions must be answered in writing and sent back to the Migration Board.
How long is the permit valid?
If you lived together with your relative in your country of origin/domicile, the Migration Board will normally grant you a permanent residence permit (PUT). This entitles you to live in Sweden for as long as you like.
If you did not live with your relative in your country of origin/domicile, but intend to set up home together on your arrival here, the Migration Board will normally grant you a permit for 12 months (in some cases for six months). You must then have to apply for an extension to your permit. If you are still living together, your permit will be extended for a further 12 months (or six months).
Non-EU/EEA citizens - Work permit
You must have a work permit in order to work in Sweden. Once you have been granted a permit, it must be entered into your passport before your arrival. Obtaining a Swedish work permit is no easy matter. Swedes, foreign citizens already living in Sweden, and EU/EEA citizens have preference over others in obtaining work in Sweden.
If the offer of work is for more than three months you will also require a Swedish residence permit.
If you will be in Sweden for less than three months, you will not require a residence permit. You may, however, require an entry visa. Information about which citizens are required to have entry visas, and further information on visas, is found on the page 'Visa for visiting Sweden'.
Requirements for a work permit:
  • Application for a work and residence permit.

  • You must have a written offer of work in Sweden, made out on a special form (AMS PF 101704) which your employer can obtain from the employment office, it is also available here to the right.
    Your employer must complete it and send it to you so that you can enclose it with your application.

  • Your employer must guarantee that you will be paid a minimum of SEK 13,000 per month before tax.

  • Some form of accommodation must have been arranged for you in Sweden.
You must be fully prepared to leave Sweden when your term of employment is over.

The first time you apply for a work permit, you do so at the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin or in your country of domicile.
About our work
NordicHouse in Krakow is a consulting company, which was created with the purpose of initiating and developing the interregional cooperation between the Nordic countries and the Southern Poland through promotion of contacts for business, tourism and culture.